Turns out those anthocyanins we have been hearing about in red wine and pomegranate juice are also in many varieties of richly colored berries, such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and others can help protect women from heart attacks and disease.
We have heart disease from many angles in my family. I know that even as an active vegetarian, my genetics leave me behind, especially (ahem) the older I get. This is something I need to keep a constant eye on. So I am thrilled that consuming copious amounts of berries through my morning smoothie or in oatmeal will have protective benefits.
- Make smoothies with whatever you have on hand: berries (of course!), yogurt, applesauce, juice, milk
- Add blueberries to oatmeal or cereal
- Have fancy desserts of yogurt and berries
- Add berries to most baked goods
- Eat frozen blueberries as a snack treat
- In winter buy and eat frozen berries
image: by VancityAllie on Flickr under CC